Blount Boats, Inc. is a full-service shipyard located in Warren, Rhode Island specializing in design, construction and repair of steel and aluminum vessels up to 220 feet.
Current Job Openings for Blount Boats:
Blount Boats is seeking an electrical engineer for vessel construction as directed by the Head of the Engineering Department.
Duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide engineering services during proposal, design, and construction stages for vessel projects, with strict adherence to contract specifications.
- Prepares the design of electrical drawings & vessel load analysis for submission to USCG or ABS.
- Works with project engineer to develop single line diagrams, layout & section drawings, raceway systems, grounding systems, and bill of materials.
- Write material order requisitions and obtain quotes from shipyard vendors.
- Generate hot work packages for Fab Shop submission.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years’ experience as electrical engineer in shipyard. Associates or Bachelor degree not required, but a plus.
- Ability to develop equipment specifications and review vendor documents to ensure technical compliance.
- Knowledge of applicable CFR USCG, IEEE, ABYC, and other Federal regulations.
- Proficient with AutoCAD. (2010 or higher)
- Proficiency with Rhinoceros (3D) software, a plus.
Ability to weld and supervise up to 8-10 workers for fitting/welding of fabricated components in the assembly and production of steel and aluminum vessels and related equipment while complying with company health, safety, and environmental processes. Responsible for fabrication welding requirements including manual, semi-automatic, automatic and all-position including using oxygen/acetylene gas torch for cutting or pre-heat.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Leads and communicates company safety culture and policies.
2. Works closely with the project manager for handling planning, including specifying staffing needs and scheduling, tools, materials and equipment.
3. Coordinates quality assurance compliance for assigned projects. Assures employees accomplish work in accordance with proper practices and within specifications.
4. Weld and supervise from ship specifications, work orders and applicable working drawings and blueprints, i.e., form, shape, fit, and weld on vessels.
5. Assures completion of tasks to meet contract delivery dates, and to come in at or under budget for assigned cost code hours.
6. Communicates changes in practices or policies; demonstrates and models behavior supportive of the direction the company is headed; provides meaningful and constructive suggestions for improvements; acts as and is a recognized leader among peers.
7. Provides supervision to assigned employees, resolving conflicts, applying needed disciplinary action with designated management representative and reassigning employees across projects.
8. Trains and coaches welding employees and subcontractors.
9. Set up and operate welding equipment applying advanced knowledge of weld electrodes and wire, machine settings, quality and quantity standards, and the use of oxygen/acetylene gas torch for cutting and pre-heat.
10. Read and interpret work specifications, work orders, blueprints and schematics.
11. Assist QC Manager with visual inspections of welds in process.
12. Assist QC Manager to ensure that all work is being performed in accordance with contractual specifications.
13. Assist QC Manager in weld layout and fit-up according to vessel specifications for layout of intermittent weld sequence for each vessel project.
14. Assist QC Manager with fit-up to show weld sizes, piece marks, direction marks, and other markings according to work specifications, work orders, blueprints, and schematics.
15. Understand and effectively communicate the results of quality assurance and non-destructive testing procedures.
16. Manage distribution of all grinding hand tools.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three years experience working as a Welding Supervisor. Must demonstrate an adept ability to effectively lead the work of others.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Effectively communicate information and ideas in English both verbally and in writing without assistance or translation.
- Understand how to produce high quality welds using SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW and Sub Arc welding processes.
- Able to pass (2G, 3G & 4G) weld qualification test for Gas metal arc welding – pulse (GMAW-P).
2-3 years shipfitting experience. Must be capable of tack welding and fitting structural steel and aluminum components. Ability to read blue prints. Must be capable of lifting up to 50 pounds.
Blount Boats is looking to recruit experienced shipfitters on a full-time basis that are capable, experienced and reliable. This is a day shift, 5 days a week, 9 hours per day (M-Th), 8 hours Friday. Saturday work is also available. All applicants must be U.S. citizens.
Ability to weld using FCAW with E71T-1 wire up to .045” diameter on ¼” plate steel thickness.
Fillet and butt weld in all positions: flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead for up to 8-9 hours per day.
Blount Boats is looking to recruit welders on a full-time basis that are capable, experienced and reliable. This is a day shift, 5 days a week, 9 hours per day (M-Th), 8 hours Friday. Saturday work is also available. All applicants must be U.S. citizens.
Ability to pass ABS certification test
1. Minimum 3 years of experience in the pipefitting trade.
2. Able to work well with others and exhibit team workmanship.
3. Able to take field measurements and fabricate most piping in shop.
4. Able to tack weld mild steel, stainless steel, aluminum and copper nickel.
5. Ability to read prints, detailed shop drawings and diagrams.
6. Able to work independently or with little supervision.
7. Must have minimum to no rework.
8. Must know all standards of pipefitting applications.
9. Must be familiar with all safety procedures.
EXPERIENCED OUTSIDE MACHINIST
1. Minimum 3 years of experience in the machining trade.
2. Must have a working knowledge of most ship machinery, such as propelling machinery and steering gear, working from blueprints.
3. Able to install all ship machinery and follow manufacturer’s instructions for machine installation.
4. Must be able to work independently or with little supervision and rework.
5. Able to operate machinery, such as cargo winches and windlasses, to determine causes of malfunctioning.
6. Must have knowledge of all power tools, hand tools, calipers, micrometers and related tools utilized in the machining trade.
7. Able to set up and operate such machine shop tools as lathe, boring mill, planer, shaper, slotter, and milling machine to fabricate replacement parts.
8. Must be familiar with all safety procedures.
QUALITY CONTROL MANAGER
Blount Boats is seeking an experienced Quality Control Manager who will develop and administer programs and processes to ensure production quality standards are consistently met in all manufacturing processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop and maintain systems to establish standards relating to activities and products.
- Develop WPQR’s (Welding Procedure Qualification Records) to ensure welding is in compliance with contract/specification
- Develop WPS’s (Welding Procedure Specifications) to ensure that the personnel performing the welding are qualified and competent at their craft
- Develop Hold Points specific to each build to ensure fitting, welding, machinery, electrical systems, coatings, NDT, etc. are in compliance with standards defined in the specification
2. Monitor performance of Shipyard Trades according to agreed standards and take necessary action to communicate, advise, and assist.
- Perform random, hold point, milestone, and acceptance inspections throughout the build at Blount and at numerous Sub Contractor facilities
- Communicate known or potential issues with Engineering, Project Managers, Trades Foreman, and Sub Contractors verbally or by email to resolve the issue in a timely manner
- Develop repair procedures when issues arise
- Assist with weld layout, prefabrication of small parts, material handling, and NDT
3. Plan and manage departmental activities.
- Schedule NDT inspections with outside vendors and assist with inspection
- Provide training and development to Blount employees
- Ensure all activities performed by QC Department fall under Blount’s Health, Safety, and Environmental Guidelines
4. Monitor and report data.
- Create and update BBI’s Quality Assurance Manual
- Maintain a Quality Assurance Log for each hull constructed
- Maintain a log of qualified welders, WPQR’s, and WPS’s
- Record and report environmental conditions and paint usage to be used for EPA Title V Documentation
- Maintain a Hull Build Milestone Log for the President & VP to review
- Provide Quality Inspection Reports to Blount Personnel and Subs throughout a build
Desired Skills & Expertise
- Comprehensive understanding of shipyard safety
- Strong structural fabrication background
- Proficiency in welding processes, blueprint reading (all disciplines)
- Excellent communication skills
- Competent computer skills; knowledge of Project Management Software
Please email resume, cover letter and salary requirements with Quality Control Manager in subject line to: email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
- Competitive Compensation and benefits
- Blount Boats is an equal opportunity employer.
PIPEFITTING 3RD CLASS (Pipefitter’s Helper)
- Basic skills for pipefitting:
- Able to cut and thread pipe.
- Must be able to tack weld with stick and use cutting torch.
- Ability to construct and install pipe hangers.
MACHINIST 3RD CLASS (Machinist Helper)
- Able to use most hand tools, calipers, and micrometers.
- Drill tap holes in foundations and specified places for anchoring machinery
- Assist in moving and leveling machinery, using portable jacks, as directed.
- Assists in bolting equipment to deck and attaches fuel, cooling, or lubricating lines as directed, using handtools.
- Able to burn, cut and shear plate
- Able to tack weld with stick and use cutting torch
- Ability to read a tape measure in feet, inches and divisions of an inch.
- Must know basic shipfitting and mechanical skills.
BLOUNT BOATS, INC. EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION
Please fill out our online employment application below:
Or download and print our employment application in PDF format:
Please download, print, fill out completely and mail to:
Blount Boats, Incorporated
461 Water Street
PO Box 368
Warren, Rhode Island 02885